SoundCloud Markets to both the Listener and the Artist

          

            Hi everyone! I am excited to start this marketing blog, and because it is my first post I would like to introduce myself a little bit first. My name is Parker Edington and I am currently 20 years old. I am a sophomore at Saint Michael’s College and I am a business administration major, and an accounting minor. In my free time I enjoy skiing, skateboarding, and listening to music.
            As I just mentioned, I am a big fan of listening to music, particularly hip-hop and rap. And one of the main platforms I use to find and listen to music is a website called SoundCloud. SoundCloud is a fairly new music platform, having started in October of 2008. I didn’t start using SoundCloud until around 2013 I would guess, and back then it was pretty unknown and not a great platform. However, in the past couple years SoundCloud has made drastic improvements and is now one of the most popular places where you can listen to music!




            The reason I was drawn to SoundCloud originally was because it felt like a social media outlet, similar to Facebook. When you make a SoundCloud account, you can follow famous artists and music groups who also have accounts, as well as your friends and people with similar music interests. From there it is easy to find music that you may like but haven’t heard before. Another reason I was drawn to joining SoundCloud was because it was free! There is no cost for signing up unlike other outlets such as Spotify or Apple Music.
            When I first joined SoundCloud, there were a few things I didn’t like about it. First of all, the mobile app was absolutely awful. It would frequently crash and the layout was awkward and not user friendly. Another thing I did not like about SoundCloud was how there not many songs were available, and songs that were available sometimes got quickly deleted due to copyright infringements. Despite these flaws, I continued to use SoundCloud and today the owners of SoundCloud have made incredible improvements.
            Since I started using SoundCloud a few years ago, the owners have made several improvements. The mobile app is now very successful, and this now allows users to listen to music more easily anywhere they go. Also, since March 26, 2016 SoundCloud users now have the option of upgrading to SoundCloud Go. SoundCloud Go which costs 10$ per month allows users to listen to ad-free music, as well as access to more songs that were protected by copyright because now famous artists can market and sell there music on this website.
            An extremely important feature that I have not touched on yet is how users can upload their own music, or any audio if they choose to. Music is a massive business and it is pretty hard for young, aspiring musicians to gain publicity. But SoundCloud allows users to easily upload 180 minutes of audio for free! It is a great place for music entrepreneurs to start putting their songs out for anybody to see, and in my opinion it is more affective and easier to use than YouTube. SoundCloud has created more advanced accounts for “uploaders” who passed 180 minutes of free uploads. SoundCloud Pro costs 7$ a month, or 63$ per year for 6 hours of audio, and SoundCloud Pro Unlimited costs 15$ a month, or 135$ per year for unlimited audio uploads. By having these yearly discounts, SoundCloud is promoting users to become long-time, consistent customers. Also, having three uploading options targets a larger market of people who upload various amounts.   





            Recently, there was a big announcement for SoundCloud. Songs on SoundCloud are extremely likely to be available for Grammy nominations in 2018! I think this is incredible for a platform that just started in 2008. This gives SoundCloud an enormous promotional opportunity to get more people aware of their platform. Not only that, but any user, famous or unknown, has a chance for one of their songs or albums to blow up and be seen on the Grammys.



            To summarize, SoundCloud is one of the most diverse, and useful platforms for music for both the artist and the consumer. Because SoundCloud has a free option, and a few options that cost money, it creates a large market for users who have different needs. Also, SoundCloud’s social-media-like layout allows users to find, and share music easier than alternative platforms. And lastly, SoundCloud allows any user to upload their music for free. Users can also share songs that they upload on SoundCloud to Facebook and Twitter, and this allows users to promote and market their own material.

                                    

Works Cited
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-soundcloud-launches-subscription-service-20160328-story.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundCloud#cite_note-lat-scgo-27

Comments